WELCOME TO HAWKS!
Welcome to Year 5 and to Hawks class.
REMINDERS AND ROUTINES:
- Our Library day is on Tuesdays so don't forget to bring your book so we can change it.
- PE is on Thursday and Friday and you are permitted to come to school in your kits on these days. Remember that no jewellery is allowed to be worn for health and safety reasons.
- Please ensure that you bring your water bottles and snacks to school every day.
In Hawks you will receive the following homework every week and we expect it to be completed on time.
- Reading - we would like you to read for a minimum of three times each week and write a comment in your diary. Diaries are collected and signed every Friday.
- Spellings - these are sent out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday. These need to be practised at home.
- Times Tables - it is really important to know your times tables as this will help you so much in many different aspects of your Maths work. We want you to be fluent and fast! Use TT Rockstars and Hit the Button to help you.
- Written homework - every week we will send a piece of written homework which will consolidate something we have learned in class together.
LOOK AT WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO!
This half term we have been covering multiples, factors , division and fractions. Children have been working hard to spot patterns , explain their thinking and share their understanding with others.
Here are some examples of the fact files we created about multiples, factors, primes and composites.
Did you know a multiple of 3 can be spotted by adding up all of it's digits ; if the answer is 3, 6 , 9 you know it is a multiple of 3!
36 = 3+6 = 9= a multiple of 3.
345 = 3+4+5 = 12 = 1 + 2 = 3 = a multiple of 3
5775 = 5+7+7+5 = 24 = 2+4 = 6 = a multiple of 3.
This is great if you need to quickly spot if a number divided by 3 will result in any remainders.
In our English lessons over the last few weeks we have been looking at play scripts. We have learned their features, practised reading them aloud with expression and acting the scenes out and have even written our own scripts based on the story of Finn McCool.
This half term's science is focused on the wonder of light! We have been carefully considering how light travels and enables us to view the world around us. This week we have been studying the eye and its inner-workings . Did you know our retina views the world upside down ? The image travels through the optical nerve into the brain which then flips the image the 'correct' way up. Amazing!