Welcome to Ospreys
I hope that you have an exhilarating year with lots of new opportunities to grow and develop.
Year 5 marks the beginning of UKS2, which means you are nearing the end of your primary school journey. Let's make it a year to remember. We will be learning lots of exciting topics linking to the past, present and future of our world.
In Year 5 you will receive the following homework, we expect all the homework to be completed on time.
- Reading- You should be reading at least 3 times a week and an adult should be regularly signing your reading record. We will be checking reading records weekly to make sure this is happening.
- Spellings- These will be sent out on a Friday and tested the following Wednesday. You should practice your spellings on the homework sheet provided and write 4 sentences each one using one of the weekly spelling words.
- Timetables- A times-tables practice sheet will be sent out on Friday and should be returned to school by the following Wednesday. Keep practicing your times tables to ensure you are secure with all the tables up to 12 x 12, fluent and fast!
- PE: We have two PE sessions a week, Mondays (Outdoor) and Tuesdays (Indoor). Please make sure the children come to school in their PE kits on those days. If they have long hair, ensure it is tied back and earrings are taken out or covered.
- Library: Each week, the children will have the opportunity to visit the school library and choose a new book to read and enjoy. This is on a Friday morning so please ensure their Library book is in school on that day so they do not miss out on this opportunity.
- Water Bottles/Snack: Please ensure that your child brings a water bottle and a healthy snack to eat during snack break.
School Council and Eco Team
Each year the children, who wish to represent our class, prepare a speech to explain why they should be part of school council or eco team and then they present this to the rest of the class. The children are then elected by their peers to represent them and their views. Below is a picture of our school council and eco team representatives:
Our Trip to Clitheroe Castle
Overview of Autumn Term 1
|Spanish||Fruits- Likes and Dislikes|
Pre Teach Vocabulary- Autumn 1
Pre-teaching vocabulary is a teaching method where pupils are exposed to new vocabulary before they encounter it in a text. By doing this, pupils will not face as many unfamiliar words when reading, encouraging greater comprehension. Pre-teaching vocabulary is a form of scaffolding, as it is a support structure teachers put in place for pupils when they are facing with new content.
Below is our vocabulary for English, Maths, Science and Theme for Autumn 1.