School Name

Frenchwood Community Primary School

Contact Us

Contact Us

SEND Information Report

Frenchwood Community Primary School 

SEND Information Report  


Version March 2023

Author Susan Wilkinson  

Approved Governors 

Review Cycle Annual

Next Review March 2024


What is the SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Information Report? 

 As of September 2014, all schools must produce and publish an annual SEND Information Report.  

The aim of our report is to give information about what our school offers all pupils, and in particular those who have special educations needs or disability. 


The types of SEND we provide for:
At Frenchwood Community Primary School, we make provision for children with SEN (Special Educational Needs) within each of the four categories identified in the SEN Code of Practice:  
Communication and Interaction  
Children and young people with speech, language, and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all the distinct aspects of speech, language, or social communication at various times of their lives. 
This category can also include children and young people with ASD, they are likely to have difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication, and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others. 
Cognition and Learning  
Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD) or Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), which can affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dyspraxia. 
Social, Mental and Emotional Health 
Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties. 
 Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder. 
Sensory and/or Physical Needs 
Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support.  
As stated in the Code of Practice: 
“These four broad areas give an overview of the range of needs that should be planned for. The purpose of identification is to work out what action the school needs to take, not to fit a pupil into a category. In practice, individual children or young people often have needs that cut across all these areas and their needs may change over time. For instance, speech, language, and communication needs can also be a feature of several other areas of SEN, and children and young people with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) may have needs across all areas, including sensory requirements.”
Therefore, the support provided at Frenchwood Community Primary School for an individual, should always be based on a full understanding of their strengths and needs and seek to address them all using well-evidenced interventions targeted at their areas of difficulty. 

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?
Children are closely monitored from the day they arrive at school at Frenchwood Community Primary School. We identify children with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) at the earliest opportunity, through a variety of ways, usually a combination, which may include some of the following: 
•    Liaison with previous school or pre-school setting 
•    Tracking progress over time  
•    Regular tests and assessments 
•    Progress consultation meetings between class teachers and senior leaders
•    PIVATs for the children working below age related expectations 
•    Concerns raised during regular dialogue between classroom practitioners and SENCo.  
•    Further assessments e.g., BPVS and Lucid Lass

What arrangements does the school make for consulting with children with special educational needs and disabilities about - and involving them in - their education?
When supporting children with SEND, we aim to talk to our children and fully involve them in the process. We discuss their individual targets and progress with them and make sure we celebrate their achievements with them, however big or small.

Pupils take increasing responsibility for their own Pupil Passports, which help them to share information about their strengths, needs, strategies and which approaches work best for them.
For children with a Statement of Educational Needs or an EHC Plan, we always share their views within the Annual Review process. These views are be discussed with them before the meeting and they come into the meetings to share their views and successes.
We use a range of practical and visual strategies to support children who find it difficult to express their views with words. Wherever possible, we try to take into account the views, wishes and aspirations of our pupils when discussing outcomes for the child and approaches to achieve them.

What arrangements does the school make for consulting with the parents & carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities and involving them in – their child's education?
We are committed to close relationships between our school and parents and carers. Your child’s class teacher will let you know how your child is doing and will be happy to communicate regularly via phone calls or through class dojo). In addition to this, we will keep you informed of any notable change in the provision for your child. If the support of outside agencies is sought for your child, you will be asked for permission and you will be invited to meet with these professionals if they visit school to review or observe your child. 
In addition to open communication between home and school, we have a regular system of parents’ evenings and detailed end of year report that help all parents keep up to date with their children’s progress. If your child also has an IPP or Individual Pupil Profile your child’s class teacher will review these once a term and parents are invited to attend a review meeting to discuss the progress of your child.  

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
All children have an entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. The school makes every effort to fully include all children with SEN in the mainstream curriculum. It may be necessary to adapt the teaching style or curriculum content to suit your child’s needs. Class teachers are responsible for planning enriching and appropriate activities for all children, including those with SEN.  
 Any strategies that will help your child access the curriculum will be planned for in their IPP or Individual Pupil Profile.

How accessible is the school environment?
Our building is almost 100 years old and built on several levels.  Within the limitations of the building we continue to improve the environment to include reasonable adjustments where possible.
The EYFS and Key Stage 1 classrooms and outdoor space are wheelchair accessible, as is the new entrance and hall. Wheelchair users can call the office to access the carpark and enable staff to put the ramp in place. A new disabled toilet is accessible to visitors and a disabled parking bay is marked out. 
The office is fitted with microphone and hearing loop to facilitate communication with people with hearing impairment.
The school environment is designed to be calm and consistent to support the transition of pupils through school.  All signage is in English with Widgit symbols to support understanding of those with additional needs or who read in other languages.  All classrooms have whole class visual timetables, and individual timetables and ‘Now and Next’ boards are in-class adaptations where required.
Pupils are able to access safe spaces if needed and there is an outdoor sensory space and a sensory pod that is timetabled to support pupils with sensory processing needs. Fidget toys, ear defenders, writing aids, chewellry and weighted blankets are among the additional resources currently in use in school.

How are the school resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs and disabilities? How are decisions made about the type and quantity of support my child receives?
The Code of Practice (2014) states that teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all pupils in their class, including where pupils access support from teaching assistants or specialist staff. 
The SEN Code of Practice (2014) recognises that ‘Special educational provision is underpinned by high quality teaching and is compromised by anything less’.

At Frenchwood Community Primary School our priority is to ensure that all children, including children with SEN have access to good or outstanding lessons which are appropriately differentiated and personalised to meet the needs of individual children.  We also recognise that some children will require educational provision that is ‘additional to’ or ‘different from’ this. To achieve this, we engage in a cyclical four-stage process: ‘Assess, Plan, Do and Review,’ this is our ‘Graduated response to SEND.’ 

The class teachers and if necessary, the SENCo or professionals from external agencies, assess the needs of the individuals.  

We identify the barriers to learning, intended outcomes and plan appropriate support and intervention to meet those outcomes.  

We provide appropriate support either within the classroom or as part of a targeted intervention programme. This could involve the provision of a resource, a change in an approach to learning, access to technology or working with an adult. For example: 
Specific Intervention group work 
Children may be supported by group interventions which may be 
•     run in the classroom or an alternative learning space  
•    run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant TA or HLTA 
 These interventions may follow a programme or may be tailored made to suit the child or group of children.  
 These sessions will be designed to help a child master a particular skill or give them the confidence to participate fully in class by helping them to access areas of the curriculum. 
 External Interventions – Specialist support 
•    You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g., a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and so be able to support them more effectively in school.  
•    The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support. 
•    Local Authority central services such as Behaviour Support, SEND inclusion teacher for students with specific disabilities and Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy services 
Children with Education Health and Care plans  
This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex, and lifelong. 
This is usually provided via an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of support. 
For your child this would mean that: 
•    School may request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the type of support that will be provided for your child.
•    When the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to draft a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support. 
•    After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex, and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). 
•    If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. 
•    An EHC Plan will outline outcomes for your child and the provision that will be needed to help meet this outcome.  •    Provision will meet the needs of your child to enable them to meet the outcomes on the EHCP. These may special resources/strategies to support your child with whole class learning, or the use of additional adults to implement individual intervention programmes or small intervention groups including your child. 

We evaluate the impact of the support provided for the children and consider whether changes need to be made.  
How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?
We are committed to close relationships between our school and parents and carers. Your child’s class teacher will let you know how your child is doing and will be happy to communicate regularly via phone calls or through class dojo). In addition to this, we will keep you informed of any notable change in the provision for your child. If the support of outside agencies is sought for your child, you will be asked for permission and you will be invited to meet with these professionals if they visit school to review or observe your child. 
In addition to open communication between home and school, we have a regular system of parents’ evenings and detailed end of year report that help all parents keep up to date with their children’s progress. If your child also has an IPP or Individual Pupil Profile your child’s class teacher will review these once a term and parents are invited to attend a review meeting to discuss the progress of your child.

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or may they have?
What specialist services or expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The Head Teacher and the SENCo are responsible for ensuring that all staff have the training and support they need to effectively work with children with SEN and all staff attend SEND training once every half term. All class teachers are highly trained professionals who are experienced in supporting children with a range of learning needs. The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g., School Nurses, Speech and Language team etc.

The school is also able to draw on the expertise of several other professionals, sometimes from within the LEA, or if this support is not available within the timescale we would require, support from private specialists is sought. This includes Educational Psychologists and Specialist teachers. Their tasks are set by the SENDCo and are relevant to the needs of the children and staff. The role of a specialist teacher includes assessing children; working 1:1 with children; providing support and advice to staff regarding the strategies for individual children; and providing training to staff.  
Audits of staff skills, knowledge and understanding are taken to find out where training needs lie. Training could be provided internally by the SENDCo or specialist teacher. Staff also attend external training when available in areas of needs. The SENDCo attends Special Educational Needs cluster meetings at which updates on latest policy and practice are addressed as well as other relevant training. The SENDCo then passes on relevant information and training to other staff in school. 

We are very well resourced with support staff. Each class has a teaching assistant to give support and intervention to groups of children/individuals where needed. In addition to in class support, other staff run a wide range of interventions including: 
•    Nurture groups/Emotion groups 
•    Maths/English intervention 
•    Social Skills groups 
•    Fine motor skills groups 
•    Speech and Language Intervention groups 
•    Attention Autism intervention 
•    Colourful Semantics 
•    SALT care plan targeted interventions 
•    Lego Therapy 

Support staff have annual performance reviews, at which they are asked if they have any training and development needs. This will be followed up with internal or external training to meet these needs.  

The school has a rigorous training programme that includes staff training for SEND every half term, all staff attend these training sessions.

How will the school prepare and support my child/young person to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?
Frenchwood Community Primary School is a mainstream primary school which takes children from N - Y6.  
Prior to children starting school, there is a transition programme which enables children to become familiar with the school, routines, and adults, as well as helping to inform us about any additional needs of the children who will be beginning in the September.  

For children coming to Frenchwood CPS 
SENDCo meeting – the SENDCo meets with the SENDCo of the feeder nursery to pass on information/records about children who will need additional support. This may include attending TAF meetings for the child. 
Any children who it is felt may find aspects of the transition difficult will behave a more detailed transition plan with additional visits. 
During the summer term, the SENDCo will attend meetings of children who are to move into school in September.  

For children moving to high school: 
When the time is approaching for the online application to high school, it is important that the child visits the school.  
Assistance is given to parents with the online admission form, and if necessary, parents can come into school to use the internet and staff will give any further assistance.  
Once children know their high school, if they have a special educational need, a transition review meeting is held. Staff from the new high school are invited to attend this meeting so that a transition programme can be agreed. This usually involves several extra visits in addition to the whole school visit which is attended by all year 6 pupils in July. A member of staff from our school will accompany the child on these additional visits, gradually withdrawing their presence so that the child spends more time with staff from the high school. In addition, we prepare children for their journey to school by looking at their route, doing some road safety activities and if necessary, taking the child down their route to school so that they become familiar with their journey. This is all done in consultation with parents. We ask the new high school for details of other systems that they have in place, e.g., diaries/homework journals and introduce children to these and explain how to use them.  
If felt to be appropriate, scrap books with photos and information about the school might also be made so that the child has something to refer to over the school holidays. This would have information about key staff, classrooms, or timetables. 
During the transition meeting we will also discuss the child’s existing friendship groups and suggest who the child might be placed with in form to help with the initial settling in period.  
If your child has an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), a Transition review will take place in the Autumn Term of Year 6 to ensure that the local authority have time to amend the Plan ready for High School. The SENCO of the preferred school will be invited along to the meeting. 
When moving to a different key stage within school transition mornings will be arranged for children to meet their new teachers and support staff and see their new classroom environment. Extra visits, if required, to the new areas and new classrooms. Some children may find it useful to have photographs of key members and staff and of the new classroom, playground etc and these can provided within a ‘social story’ for any child who will have difficulty with transition at any stage and this will help prepare them.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?
All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim that all activities, including extra – curricular clubs, school trips and enrichment activities are available to all children. Relevant additional provision is made where necessary to ensure that they can participate fully and enjoy these activities.  
A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised.  
Our school building is split level, although KS1 is wheelchair accessible. There are steps to the canteen and KS2 has 2 flights of stairs. We do have a disabled toilet but no bathroom. 
The school uses the expertise of outside agencies, such as the SEND team, to advise on equipment and accessibility issues as required. 
 Parents are kept well informed about all aspects of school life, from whole school events to their individual children’s progress and development. There are regular messages on Dojo and the school website is frequently updated and has all statutory information.  
Parents are encouraged to come into school if they have any difficulty in accessing information and we do our best to provide support.  
We have several staff who speak different languages and who can assist in translating information. School dojo will also translate messages for parents.  
Other resources specific to the needs of individuals are purchased, when necessary, to ensure that all children have everything they require to meet their needs.  

What support will there be for my child's overall well-being?
At Frenchwood Community Primary School, we use Emotion Coaching for all our children. Emotion Coaching is a communication strategy which supports young people to self-regulate and manage their stress responses.  Several staff have also completed courses in Mental Health First Aid and we have a trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA).
We follow a PHSE programme called Jigsaw.  
Jigsaw offers a comprehensive Programme for Primary PSHE giving children relevant learning experiences to help them navigate their world and to develop positive relationships with themselves and others. 
With strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health, Jigsaw lessons also include mindfulness allowing children to advance their emotional awareness, concentration, and focus. 
All classes have ‘Regulation stations’ for children to self-regulate and provide a safe space for this. 
 For children who need more support with their social or emotional development, school staff work closely with the SENCO and Learning Mentor to identify the areas of need and a plan is made to support the child. This could be with strategies for the classroom e.g., visual supports, or interventions that target the need. The interventions could be with a Teaching Assistant or the Learning Mentor. We have a counsellor who undertakes weekly therapy with children who have high need. 
We also access the involvement of outside agencies to offer advice and to work with the family. We work closely with Golden Hill Inclusion Support Team and we also work with our allocated CAMHS Mental Health Practitioner.

How do you evaluate the effectiveness of the provision made for children and young people with special educational needs?  
We have a robust system of reviewing our provision for all the children in our school, including those with SEN through our tracking and pupil progress meetings. Any interventions are tracked to make sure their impact is effective.  
 Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his or her class teacher 
•    At the end of each key stage (i.e., at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Teacher Assessments and Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do, and the results are published nationally. 
•    Where necessary, children will have an IPP or Individual Pupil Profile Plan detailing the needs of the child, strategies to overcome the barriers and targets set by the Class teacher and Teaching Assistant and outside agencies or SENCo. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a plan made. 
•    The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at least annually. This is with all adults involved with the child’s education. 
The SENCO will also monitor your child’s progress. 
Children have an EHCP plan also have a TLP: targeted Learning plan (a more detailed IPP) which is generated from: 
•    the long-term outcomes of their Education Health and Care Plan 
•    the social/emotional and academic needs of the children   
•    the observations and assessments of the class teacher and support staff working with the child  
•    Advice offered by Specialist Teachers/Educational Psychologists 
•    Any assessments completed by school staff

How do you involve other bodies, including health and social services, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of children with SEND and in supporting their families?
School has strong links with many different agencies, and we work closely with them to support children’s needs.  
These include: 
•    Educational Psychologists 
•    Speech and Language Therapists 
•    A Specialist Teacher 
•    CAMHS 
•    Health care specialists local GPs and paediatricians, school nurses  
•    Children’s social care 
•    Local police and PCSOs  
•    Local charity groups offering family support 
 School often takes on the role of Lead Professional and coordinates meetings and support for children and families in need. These are called Team around the Family (TAF) meetings.

What arrangements do you make in relation to the treatment of complaints from children and their parents/carers with special educational needs concerning your provision made?
If you have concerns:
•    Talk to us – contact your child’s class teacher about your concerns initially.  
•    If you feel that you would like to speak to a senior member of staff, ask to arrange an appointment with our SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator).  Our SENCo is Mrs. Susan Wilkinson.  
Appointments can be arranged in person, by phone or via Microsoft Teams.  Our SENCo Mrs. Wilkinson is available on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays; although appointments on other days can be arranged. 
 Contact with Susan Wilkinson can be made by phone: 01772 253244  or email:
If you are unhappy with provision we offer, and would like to make a complaint, the policy can be found on the website, or you can request a hard copy from the school office.
Frenchwood Complaints policy

Where can I find the contact details of support services for the parents of children with SEND?
Lancashire SEND Information, Advice and Support Service is a statutory service which is run at ‘arm’s length’ from the Local Authority and provides free, confidential, impartial advice, guidance and support to parents of children with special educational needs and children and young people with SEND. 

The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) - independent advice around education for parents/carers of children aged 5-16 in state schools in England.

Carers UK - a charity set up to help people who care for family and friends in the UK.

Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) provides impartial advice about the education of service children.

The Children’s Society in Lancashire - advocacy for young people who are approaching 18 years and undergoing an assessment to access support from adult services. You can ask your social worker or carer or contact the service on:

  • Freephone 0800 0856 324
  • Tel 01772 759 233

Civil Legal Advice (CLA) – you might be able to get free and confidential advice from CLA as part of legal aid. This includes advice on education law matters, SEN, discrimination and judicial review (for example for children not receiving education or unlawful exclusions).

Contact – supports families with disabled children with advice and information to get the right support. Brings families together to support each other, and helps families to campaign, volunteer, and fundraise. In addition, offers face-to-face support, workshops and training in some regions.

Down's Syndrome Association - information, support and advice related to Down’s syndrome. Includes education, health, social care, benefits and housing.

Guide Dogs - early diagnosis family support - information, advice and guidance from the early stages following diagnosis. Further help can include health and welfare advice, practical and emotional support and signposting to other organisations and services. 

IPSEA - Independent Parental Special Education Advice, a charity that offers legal advice, support and training to ensure children and young people with SEND access the right education. They also offer tribunal representation.

National Autistic Society - a charity for people with autism (including Asperger syndrome) and their families. They provide information, support and pioneering services, and campaign for a better world for people with autism. Includes education, health, social care, benefits, housing and transition support (school to adult life).

National Deaf Children's Society - information and support for deaf children and young people and families. They can provide advice and support on a range of issues including benefits, education, technology, health, social care, discrimination and communication. They provide face-to-face support and tribunal representation.

National Organisation for FASD - for adults with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), parents and carers, and professionals supporting those with FASD.

Me and my FASD - a website for children and young people with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) packed full of ideas to help sufferers understand and own their diagnosis.

Sense - for deafblind individuals or their family members and supporters. Information and advice on a range of issues, such as health, social care, benefits and education. They also offer support around communication, your legal rights and entitlements, Sense services and technology.

SOS SEN - A national charity aiming to empower parents and carers of children and young people with SEN and disabilities to access the help they are entitled to, particularly in the education system. They offer face-to-face support, tribunal representation and parent workshops.