Next review October 2024
1. Aims and scope
- The Governing Body actively encourages community use of the school buildings. However, it reserves the right to refuse any lettings it may choose.
- The hirer must be willing to meet with school officials and provide details of their aims and objectives.
- The Governing Body will ensure that the school budget does not subsidise non-school activities and that all costs are recovered.
- Charges will be reviewed annually by the Governing Body.
- Each hirer using the school will be required to nominate a contact person. Such a person is deemed to be in charge and able to investigate any difficulties which may arise.
- The Governing Body will determine if a nominated person from school is required on site when the premises are being used. If not, a responsible person must be on call.
- A Letting Application / Indemnity Form must be completed by all applicants. A signed copy of the application form, if approved by the school, will be returned to the hirer. For long term lettings application forms will be reviewed on an annual basis.
- Any hirer that uses the school must be adequately insured (with a minimum of £5m public liability insurance) and insurance documents must be attached to the application.
- All hirers must comply with health and safety legislation.
- The hirer is responsible for ensuring that DBS checks have been undertaken where appropriate.
- Arrangements for the payment of each letting will be made in advance with the hirer concerned.
- Smoking is not allowed on the premises in line with school policy.
- No alcohol is to be consumed on the premises at any time.
2. Areas available for hire
2.1 Available areas
The school will permit the hire of the following areas:
- Sports hall
- Playing fields
2.2 Capacity and charging rates
The maximum capacity and rates for hiring each area are as follows:
£20 per hour
£10 per classroom per hour
£20 per hour
3. Charging rates and principles
The rates for hiring out different areas are listed in the table in the section above. We may decide that certain organisations or activities can use the premises for a reduced rate, or free of charge, if it supports the core aims of the school. This decision has been delegated to the headteacher, who will report to governors.
We may decide to impose an additional cleaning fee on top of the hiring rates.
We reserve the right to cancel any agreed hiring with a minimum of 7 days. A full refund will be issued if we do cancel a hire. The school shall not be liable for any indirect or consequential losses, including (without limitation) any loss of profits, loss of business or the loss of any revenue arising out of the cancellation of any hire.
The hirer of the premises can cancel any hire with a minimum of 7days notice. If less notice than this is given, the hirer shall not be entitled to a refund.
The revenue raised from hiring out will be reviewed by the school office manager and will be fed into the school’s financial reporting, to ensure best value is being achieved.
4. Application process
Those wishing to hire the premises should fill out the hire request form, which you can find in appendix 1 of this policy, and read the terms and conditions of hire set out in section 5.
The hirer should fill out and sign the hire request form and submit it to the school office. Approval of the request will be determined by Mrs Hamida Patel.
If the request is approved, we will contact the hirer with details of how to submit payment and make arrangements for the date and time in question. We will also send on details of the emergency evacuation procedures and other relevant health and safety documents. The hirer will also need to provide proof of its public liability insurance.
We reserve the right to decline any applications at our absolute discretion, in particular where the organisation does not uphold the values of the school, reputational damage may occur, or the activity does not adhere to the latest government safety advice.
5. Terms and conditions of hire
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to in the hiring of the school premises. Any breach of these terms will result in cancellation of future hires without refund.
The school is dedicated to ensuring the safeguarding of its pupils at all times. It is a requirement of hire that hirers abide by the schools’ requirements in respect of safeguarding. Any failure from the hirer in this respect will result in the hire being terminated.
It is the responsibility of the hirers to ensure that safeguarding measures are in place while hiring out the space.
If there is a chance that those hiring the premises will come into contact with pupils, for example if the hire occurs during school hours, or when pupils may be present in the school (during after school clubs or extra-curricular activities), we will ask for confirmation that the hirers have had the appropriate level of DBS check.
The hirer will be required to have appropriate safeguarding policies in place, including safeguarding and child protection, and shall provide copies of these policies on request to the school.
The hirer confirms that, should any safeguarding concerns present themselves during the hire of the school premises, they shall contact the headteacher as soon as reasonably practicable.
7. Monitoring arrangements
We will review and update this policy when the guidance on which it is based changes or when this version of the policy otherwise stops being applicable, such as where COVID-19 is no longer a risk.
Any updates to this policy will be shared with the full governing board.
Appendix 1: Hire request form
Before filling out a request form, please familiarise yourself with our terms and conditions for the hire of our premises and our rates of hire, which you can find in sections 2 and 5 of this policy. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs Hamida Patel.
Name of applicant/organisation and company number (where applicable)
Applicant contact details
Preferred method of contact
Purpose/activity of organisation
How is the event to be funded? (personal/ business/charity/grant/other)
Registered charity number (if relevant)
Part of the premises requesting to be hired
Date and time of first hire
Is this a recurring request, or one off? If recurring, indicate the frequency and number of occurrences (e.g. weekly, 10 weeks)
Number of expected participants in the activity (Adults/children)
Additional equipment you will require from the school (please note we may not always be able to provide this but will inform you where this is/is not possible)
Additional equipment you will be providing yourself
Confirmation and details of the safeguarding and child protection arrangements you have
By signing below, I agree to the terms and conditions set out in the school’s premises hire policy.
Name _____________________________________________________________ Date _______________
Please return this form via email to email@example.com or to the school office. We will be in touch to inform you if your application is successful, and if so details of the full cost and documents that will need to be shared.